Rewiring my 240v Pool Pump

Rewiring my 240v Pool Pump

I installed a new variable speed pool pump, and I wanted to swap out the old poorly done electrical connections, here is how I did it

The old connection used a Federal Pacific fuse box (Yes, with actual fuses) that is probably 3 times as old as I am, that then fed into a manual timer which gives you very little control. The wiring was all wrong and the connections were all terrible. It used THHN wire routed through the wall in no conduit. It was also using 12AWG wire in the timer with a 30 amp breaker. This is not acceptable, as it requires a 20a breaker for 12AWG wire

Oh, and there was no ground.

Because I didn't want to deal with conduit inside, I went ahead and used 12/2 Romex to get from the panel into the exterior junction box. I would then transition to 12 AWG stranded THWN wire which will go into the conduit

The new pump only draws 13a, so I swapped the 30a double pole breaker for a 20a double pole breaker

I used a plastic exterior junction box mounted directly to the brick with SPAX exterior #8 screws. These screws don't require anchors and just thread into the brick. I caulked around it with clear caulk, it takes a few hours to dry clear

Next I started digging a trench. The old conduit was installed less than an inch underground, so I wanted the new one to be done right. I dug down a foot into the ground for the conduit

Next I threaded 2 red wires of 12AWG stranded THWN and a single green wire into the conduit, layed it in and backfilled. I then connected it to the junction box and added a switch and a weatherproof cover

I used 1/2 inch non-metallic liquid tight conduit. This is rated for direct burial

I only installed a switch because the new pump has a controller, meaning the old timer is no longer needed. This is a double pole 20a switch.

I used some plastic U brackets to run the wire down the wall. It already look 100x better!

I spent a little while raking and levelling the soil so you couldn't tell where I dug. The bricks in the picture were used to hold down the conduit while I backfilled it

Now I have the wire over to the other side with a lot of slack (Because I didn't want to run the wire twice when it wasn't long enough!)

Now where this project varies from others. Everyone seems to suggest just running this conduit directly to the pump. But, this means every time I need to reconnect the pump or swap connections I am cutting and working with the wire that is buried. There is only a certain number of times you can do this before they are too short. So I decided to install a junction box. This will let me do whatever I want in the future, without messing with the buried wire

I got a piece of pressure treated ground contact 2x4 and stuck it into the ground and set it with concrete. This is where I mounted the second junction box

I cut the conduit and fed the wire into the box

Next I got the whip from the pump connected

I connected the wires with a lot of slack in the box

Here it is with the cover on

And here is the final product

Looks much better!

The only part of this install I think someone could find issue with is the Romex running through the brick wall. I can't find any NEC code against it, and I can't find any local codes against it, but I feel like some people won't like it. There is plenty of room around the romex and its secured on both sides so I am not concerned at all. I could change this later on by simply installing some conduit

Overall I am very pleased with this install, it didn't cost much and it looks very clean